Spahr Building - 4847 Second Avenue, 15207
La Gourmandine - 5013 Second Avenue, 15207
Date Completed: January 2017
Program: Renovation of two vacant commercial buildings in Hazelwood's commercial core
Total Development Cost: $4.5M
Funding Partners: Historic Tax Credits, Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, Dollar Bank, Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh, Heinz Endowments, Hillman Foundation, Bridgeway Capital
Community Partners: Hazelwood Initiative
Development Team: mossArchitects, 4080 Architecture, Nelcon Construction, Iams Consulting, Langan Engineering
ACTION’S work on Second Avenue has been focused on renovating existing commercial structures with the goal of revitalizing the neighborhood’s historic main street. The Hazelwood Second Avenue project includes the renovation of two formerly vacant, blighted structures. The first is a historic four story brick building, constructed in 1911 as a hall for the Oddfellows. The building has been brought back to its original historic beauty and will house the commissary for the Pittsburgh Community Kitchen with the goal of eventually having a community restaurant. PCK will undertake job training in the space, preparing participants for employment in the fast-growing Pittsburgh culinary industry.
The second renovation is the vacant D’Imperio’s market, which has been transformed into a 6,000 SF production space for La Gourmandine bakery. The bakery will create job opportunities in the neighborhood and have a small café for community residents. Above the bakery are two affordable apartments.