Environmental sustainability is a top priority at ACTION-Housing. We have focused on energy efficiency and environmental issues since the early 1980’s, but now, Green thinking is an integral part of every project we do. Some of our green programs are:
Home weatherization is essential for homeowners to achieve energy use reductions. ACTION-Housing works with the US Department of Energy to provide free air sealing and furnace work for qualified low-income applicants in order to lower utility bills and help create a healthy home.
Energy efficiency, water conservation, and healthier living issues seem so commonsense now, but looking back a few years, few affordable housing developers and managers had the time or inclination to deal with them. Now, with the growing interest in "greening" the recognition of the financial impact of utility deregulation, and the understanding of the toxicity in many building and cleaning materials, building owners have started to ask how they can improve their properties.
Beginning in 2007, ACTION-Housing introduced environmental thinking into all of our development activities, including existing multifamily affordable housing, new multifamily and single family housing, property management, and tenant education. While initially focused on our own properties, ACTION-Housing readily embraced the idea of extending our efforts to other developers through collaborations, education and shared resources.
The One Stop helps multifamily affordable housing building owners reduce costs by improving energy efficiency. The program is designed to preserve affordable housing by keeping utility costs low and improve air quality while reducing multifamily buildings’ environmental footprint by minimizing energy use.
We can help find the best energy-saving investments in your building. The One Stop will assist every step of the way:
- Utility Analysis – Benchmarks your building, determining its potential for savings.
- Energy Audit – A detailed energy audit determines where your building is wasting energy.
- One Stop Report – Outlines recommended cost saving upgrades. Measures are recommended solely on the basis of cost-effectiveness.
- Financing Assistance – Assistance securing funding for the desired property improvements. Funding sources could include, but are not limited to, property reserves, utility rebates, and traditional loans.
- Contractor Selection/Construction Management – Select qualified and experienced contractors form our network. The One Stop also manages the construction process as an owner’s representative.
- Education Modules – Educational sessions for tenants, maintenance staff, and property managers to detail their critical role in minimizing the property’s energy use.
- Savings Verification – The One Stop monitors your building’s energy use by evaluating post-retrofit utility bills to ensure savings are being realized.